Pages

Getting Started

Hi there!

Thanks for reading my blog.



I have always liked writing. One of the earliest, albeit vague, memories that I have in my life is that of me writing some nonsensical scribbling on paper when I was toddler, and my mum looking at the scribbling and proclaiming that I will become a writer.

Don’t ask me how she came to the conclusion. There must have been some linkage between the two. Or was it just the fondest dream of my mum that I will become a writer, and she was just innocently planting that thought in me in the hope that I will become a writer?

In any case, somehow when I was growing up, the dream of becoming a writer would come and go periodically. However, as I am useless at sticking to any resolution for long periods of time, let alone go through the gruel and discipline of writing, I have not really fulfilled my dream of becoming a writer.

What triggered me to start a blog is this secondary school reunion that I attended. It was a very special gathering, because in Singapore, we do not have the tradition of organising secondary school reunions.

This reunion only came about because my ex-classmate (hey CF, hope you are reading this!), who is now based in Japan, had a brainwave, and suddenly decided to organise a reunion. When he got the idea, he did not just call some old friends from our class, and gather us for dinner or get-together. He used facebook to contact at least one classmate from each class (Class 4A to 4M).

This is quite phenomenal as many of us had not contacted each other for the last twenty years. Many of us had lost contact with one another. Some had moved overseas. In addition, he also managed to contact some of the old teachers, many whom have retired a few years back. It felt like Egypt’s 2011 FacebookRevolution, where we harnessed the power of social media to gather people together. The reach and speed of social media was quite amazing to witness.

We had quite a magical gathering at our secondary school that day. It was a simple but sweet affair. And it sparked quite a lot of thoughts in me as well. It made me feel that, if my classmate can do something so special, what have I done in the last twenty years that I can count as being really out of the ordinary?

Well, I thought about it, and decided to start a blog. I know nowadays blogs are really common. But what I will do is I will use the blog to force myself to keep writing. Then over time, I hope that I will become a better writer, and that will bring me a step closer to achieving my childhood dream.

Quite a simple idea, right? I only hope I have the discipline to keep at it.

Well, as Johann Wolfang von Goethe said, whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. So let me begin my own special project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I would be very happy if you could leave some comments or words of encouragement!